For any room, and especially for the bedroom, a chandelier is considered not only a functional object, but also a décor piece. Some designers even propose that the chandelier should form the accent element of the room.
Since the bedroom requires minimal furniture, many modern bedrooms are decorated in the currently popular minimalism style.With the minimalist style, a beautiful and extraordinary lighting device such as a chandelier can double up as the key décor piece in the room.However, choosing a chandelier for the bedroom is not as simple as it sounds.In this scenario, it is not enough to just choose a chandelier that lights up the room to your satisfaction, since the chandelier, in addition to lighting the bedroom, serves the purpose of decorating it.
General Criteria for Choosing a Bedroom Chandelier
It is advised that you go chandelier shopping with some set preferences in mind, so that the selection process is easier. However, to make the right decision, it is important to consider other aspects regarding the bedroom, including:
- The area and height of the room:The larger the bedroom, the more freedom you have to choose a larger chandelier. It is obvious that in a small room, an overly large chandelier will not appear like a décor element; rather, it will look like the main component of the room. Therefore, you should that the larger the chandelier you desire, the more bedroom space you will require. The height of the ceiling also plays a rather big role. Depending on whether your ceiling is low or high, you can go with a pendant or ceiling chandelier.
- The location of the bed: Sometimes designers create bedroom designs where the lamp is located directly above the bed, rather than in the center of the room.Likewise, you can decide to fix the chandelier directly above the bed, as opposed to installing it in the center of the room’s ceiling. If you decide to install the chandelier in this way, make sure to consult with experts so as not to disrupt the general geometry of the room.
- The general stylistic features of the room: This item is especially important because the general scheme of the bedroom should not be violated.Of course, it is now quite popular to combine two or more styles in one room, but you need to do this competently.
- The color scheme of the room: As with style, you have two criteria for choosing a ceiling luminaries. The first option is using it as a bright accent, due to the fact that it will stand out against the general color scheme. The second option involves the selecting a chandelier in the same color as the main decor of the room, then putting emphasis on other accessories such as curtains, pillows and carpets.
- Lighting power:Of course, when choosing a lighting device, it is necessary to consider how well it lights up the room. The larger your bedroom, the greater the lighting device’s power should be. An even better option for the bedroom is the installation of a chandelier whose lighting can be adjusted according to the occupant’s mood or desired effect.
- Harmonious combination with other room lighting fixtures: A typical bedroom requires several lighting sources, even if it has a chandelier.Many homeowners place additional light sources over the head of the bed or on the nightstand. These light sources serve as additional illumination in special instances, such as when the occupant decides to read a book before bedtime. Therefore, the chandelier should, if not completely, at least partially combine with the extra lighting fixtures, creating a uniform ensemble.
It is also important to know beforehand the material the chandelier is made out of, as well as the type of bulbs it may require to work. All these criteria significantly affect the overall impact of the chandelier on the bedroom. Depending on your selection, you will either get a stylish chandelier that appealingly transforms your bedroom, or end up with the wrong chandelier that takes away the visual appeal of the bedroom.
How to Choose a Chandelier According to the Style of the Room
There is an endless array of chandeliers to choose from. As we mentioned earlier in the article, lighting fixtures are either attached to the ceiling or hanging from it. The ceiling chandelier attaches directly to the ceiling and looks quite compact, which is why this type of chandelier is most often installed in small rooms. With this type of installation, the chandelier will not clutter up the space. It can consist of either one or several plafonds. The basic idea, however, is that both types of chandeliers are connected to the ceiling, either directly or indirectly.
The pendant chandelier, on the other hand, certainly gives off a more luxurious vibe.
Externally, this chandelier is a lamp, consisting of one or several shades. The lamp is fixed onto a cord or chain, which then connects onto the ceiling. If the lighting device has one lampshade, it will appear compact. However, some chandeliers consist of multiple components at varying heights. Modern manufacturers offer many options for chandeliers, as we already stated. If you are lucky you can find an unusual and original design, which will definitely become the highlight of your bedroom.
With respect to materials, chandelier frames can be classified as;
Plafonds also come in numerous varieties. The materials used to manufacture plafonds include:
- Metal, etc.
A classic chandelier is easily the best choice for the bedroom. While classic chandelier may differ in certain details, the concept is uniform – a pendant lamp on the outside, fitted with a large number of connectors for bulbs that imitate candles. Additionally, such chandeliers can be decorated with various decorative elements, such as glass and crystal.
The chandelier depicted in this photo is the originator of all large lighting fixtures, with its origin going back to the Middle Ages. Several designers have proposed that the antique chandelier be mass produced.
To do this, some parts of the frame or shade are specially overwritten. Such a chandelier fits perfectly into the classic room interior and gives the bedroom a cozy and relaxed atmosphere.
However, such a classic model is not always modest. If you are going for a modest look, you have a range of other traditional chandeliers to choose from.
In addition, the size of the chandelier, like we mentioned earlier, plays an instrumental role. The more massive it is, the more attention is turned in its direction. A carefully selected size will help visually expand a small space, making the room harmonious and comfortable.
Often, chandeliers with floral motifs are chosen in the bedroom. Imitations of leaves, grass or buds refresh the room and look quite original. Forged or fabric designs allow you to create a model that will become the main highlight of the room. The chandelier can stand out from the rest of the components, and vice versa, as long as it is in sync with other elements in the room, such as the wallpaper and curtains.
Chandeliers are also very popular in the classic execution of the Art Nouveau style. On the exterior, these chandeliers can be simple and concise models that are not burdened by excessive decor. The shades on such chandeliers often tend to be minimalist.
However, there is another side of the Art Nouveau style – extraordinary, sometimes even overly elaborate chandeliers. The only concept that unifies these two types of chandeliers is the use of mainly one material during production. Such designs are made in the style of minimalism, loft or hi-tech and are installed in bedrooms.
It is impossible not to notice the sudden shift to environmentally friendly and natural materials. The trend applies to lighting fixtures as well. It is now easy to obtain chandeliers made from natural and environmentally friendly materials like wood. You can place these chandeliers in country houses decorated in styles like the Scandinavian interior style, which is gaining and emphasizes the maximum use of natural materials.
Chandelier Color: Bright Accent or Harmonious Shade Combinations?
For a long time, the chandeliers were made of plastic and consisted of a large number of suspended decorative details. Most stores exclusively sold this type of chandelier.
Today, the range is so large that it is often difficult for shoppers to decide. However, such a wide assortment allows you the freedom to choose the option that will harmoniously fit into the room without interfering with the overall design concept.
We have already described the categories into which chandeliers fall. Now let’s talk about the color of the chandelier, which also plays an important role in the style of the room. In this regard, there are two scenarios:
- The lamp is designed in harmony with the overall decor of the room.
- The chandelier will serve as a bright accent, standing out from the color scheme of the room.
Many people prefer to play in contrasts and choose lighting products that clearly stand out from the rest of the interior. For a bedroom, if the walls are painted white, a black chandelier will make for an original solution. However, it is worth remembering that the chandelier is capable of drawing all the attention in the room. Therefore, if the area of your bedroom is quite small, the chandelier should be used to draw attention, distracting from the compactness of the room.
If you plan to install a chandelier that combines several colors, try to repeat at least one of them in the interior. It is important that such a model blends with furniture and other bedroom decor elements. Repeat the main shade of the chandelier in window textiles, headboard upholstery or the carpet.
Types of Lamps Used in Modern Chandeliers
All lamps are divided into several main types, each of which has advantages and disadvantages. The types include:
- Incandescent lamp;
- LED diode.
For many years, the most popular bulbs for lighting devices were ordinary incandescent lamps. However, today their inefficiency and fragility has been fully proven. In addition, if heated too much, these bulbs can significantly damage the fabric or plastic elements of the chandelier. Their only advantage is their low cost. Luckily, manufacturers now offer a wide range of products that can save energy, while serving several years.
Halogen lamps are widely considered as the most efficient. These lamps are able to save energy and give a stylish and beautiful light. However, it should be borne in mind that their glow has a rather cold shade, making these lamps unsuitable for some designs and rooms, such as the bedroom. However, you can find around this. If you opt for halogen lamps despite their disadvantage of emitting ‘cold’ light, you can choose a chandelier with a dense covering. Due to the dense covering, the lamp will give a warmer shade. If your bedroom is made in cool colors, such lighting will come in handy.
Fluorescent bulbs have the same shade of light as halogen bulbs. However, they have one indisputable advantage – no matter how long they work, they do not heat up at all. Due to this property, they can be installed in any type of chandelier, even in a model with paper shades.
Regardless, many people consider LED diode lamps as the most efficient. LED diode lamps possess the advantages of all the above types, and can provide both cold and warm glows.
How to Measure the Intensity of the Bedroom Lighting
When choosing a lighting fixture in any of the rooms of your house, consider attributes other than just the appearance. After all, the main function of the chandelier is to illuminate the space in the dark. Therefore, it is necessary to carefully select the correct light intensity. Both weak and strong lighting can damage the eyes.
To correctly calculate the intensity of lighting in your bedroom, you should consider criteria such as:
- The type of lighting device.
- The power of the light source.
- The number of sockets or shades for light bulbs.
- The material from which the shades are made, the material’s thickness and degree of transparency.
- The direction of the ceiling (up to the ceiling or down to the floor).
- The color scheme, which is the basis of the room.
The main aspect that you should pay attention to is the intensity of the light source. If you argue from the standpoint of basic standards, then this indicator can vary from 10 to 25 watts per square meter area. However, if you chose white or beige for your walls, then this intensity can be reduced slightly without losing brightness.
Many designers recommend installing chandeliers whose shades face up. In this case, the light becomes more tender and diffused. The only disadvantage of such products is the rather laborious cleaning process required. In such shades dust, small insects and other forms of dirt accumulate very quickly.
As you can see, selecting a proper chandelier for the bedroom is not easy. It is, in fact, a process that requires knowledge about the properties of different lamps and materials, as well as clear planning. However, if you choose the right chandelier for your bedroom, you will be overwhelmingly surprised by the end result. After all, the light source is not just a functional detail of the interior, but also a stylish and original way to create the desired mood in the room.