A children’s room plays an important role in their development. Since children spend a lot of time in their room, it is important to ensure the room is perfect for their comfort and well-being. The most popular option for the walls of children’s rooms today is wallpaper. There are so many types available today, and as such, it may be difficult for parents to select the best option. This article, therefore, comes in handy in guiding you to select the best wallpaper for your child’s room.
Wallpaper varieties for the nursery
As we mentioned in the introduction, selecting wallpaper for a child’s room can be difficult, particularly considering the many types available today. However, choosing wallpaper for a child’s room is not as difficult as it sounds. The main aspect to pay attention to is the friendliness of the wallpaper material to the child’s health. This article, however, brings you other factors you need to look at.
Consider these popular wallpaper types for children’s rooms:
Paper wallpaper is a popular option, especially for nurseries, particularly due to their environmental-friendliness and safety. You, however, need to ensure that the paper wallpaper does not contain harmful dyes. The advantages of this wallpaper include:
- The material can ‘breathe’ and it does not emit toxins in case of fire;
- Large selection of colors to choose from;
However, paper wallpaper has its disadvantages, the main being its ease of damage and short life span.
Non-woven is a well-known material for the manufacture of wallpaper. From non-woven, such a base is covered with vinyl. For children’s rooms, however, it is recommended to buy wallpaper with a perforated outer layer.
Non-woven wallpaper in the nursery has several benefits, including:
- A large assortment;
- Easy to stick to the wall;
- Easy to maintain as it can be washed;
- Allows the walls to breathe;
- Is affordable.
The main limitation of non-woven wallpaper lies with its top cover, vinyl. The danger is particularly high for a foamed version, as a child can take it off ingest it, causing harm to the child as the material contains toxins. Therefore, when choosing non-woven wallpaper for a child’s room, it is important to study in detail the composition of the upper layer.
Vinyl wallpaper in the nursery
Vinyl-coated wallpapers are used for different rooms, including children’s rooms. This wallpaper consists of two layers – a vinyl and a paper or non-woven layer. The advantages of vinyl wallpaper are:
- A wide selection of colors and textures;
- Easy pasting process;
- Easy to level the base;
- Long-lasting due to resistance to minor damage and color maintenance.
The main disadvantages of vinyl wallpaper are the toxicity of the material and low quality, which causes quick damage.
3D wallpaper for the nursery
Wallpapers with 3D effects are fast gaining ground in the decoration of nurseries. Three-dimensional wallpapers come in multiple varieties, including standard, panoramic, LED, and wallpaper for painting.
The major advantages of 3D wallpaper include:
- Resistance to wear;
- Environmental friendliness;
- Fire safety (if coated with a special primer);
- Easy maintenance (Can be washed without risk of damage).
However, finishing a child’s room with 3D wallpaper has its drawbacks, including:
- Complex installation;
The best kind of photo wallpaper for a nursery is a mural. These are often customized to the needs of the child. Abstract and thematic photo wallpapers are also quite trendy.
The main advantage of this wallpaper option is the ability to choose murals with pictures that speak to the interests and hobbies of the child. For young kids, murals that depict fairy tales and cartoons are the most appropriate, whereas murals of maps, space, sports, nature, and other activities that interest the child do the trick. While parents often decide on the murals to use, it is advisable to consult the child on the kind of murals he/she would like in their bedroom.
The other major advantages of photo wallpaper are:
- Easy to customize;
- Photo wallpapers are quite affordable, particularly those with a paper base.
The main disadvantage of photo wallpaper is that they absorb odors, dust and have a short-lived lifespan. However, the short lifespan is also an advantage, as experts recommend changing the murals after two or so years, to match the development progress of the child.
Other types of wallpaper for decorating a child’s room
In addition to the main types discussed above, other types of wallpaper that are often used include:
- Cullet wallpaper: This is an environmentally friendly option that resists combustion and has many other advantages. However, they are mostly used in public spaces since they are not very attractive and more expensive than other types;
- Liquid wallpaper: This is a variant of decorative plaster that contains mineral and plant fibers.It is a uniform surface without seams. It is a convenient option for children’s rooms since the posters, stickers, and drawings boost their creativity;
- Cork wallpaper: This wallpaper consists of a paper base, with a top coating of cork oak bark. Its pros include heat and sound insulation and friendly to people with allergies. The disadvantages, however, include the limited range of colors and high cost.
- Velour wallpaper: This is a beautiful and original option. The downside of using it in a nursery is the ease of the material to catch dust and its low durability.
- Textile wallpaper for children: They have many positive properties, the main being environmental friendliness, and a beautiful appearance. However, textile wallpapers have a short lifespan and are too expensive. Additionally, installing the wallpaper on the wall is extremely costly.
The effect of the color scheme on the child
Color has a huge impact on the development of the child, so it is important to choose the right color scheme for the room where the child spends the most time. Color has a direct effect on the emotional state and the nervous system of the child.
It is scientifically proven that some colors and their combinations have a positive effect on the mood and state of the child. Others, on the contrary, can inhibit the development of children and ruin their peace. It is important to factor in these factors when choosing a color scheme for the wallpaper of a child’s room.
Another important to consider when choosing wallpaper for a child’s room is that the effect of colors on children varies according to their age. Depending on the age of the child, different color choices apply, as follows:
- 0-3 years: During this stage, the child’s room needs soft, pastel combinations. The color should be calm, devoid of bright tones. Such colors create a harmonious atmosphere that positively impacts the child;
- 3-6 years: At this age, you can start adding vibrant colors to the bedroom, including fairy-tale or cartoon characters. However, be cautious not to go overboard. Many bright accents, chaotic geometry, and sharp corners cause anxiety and disturb the peace of children;
- 6-9 years old: This stage often comes with new interests and experiences. Parents can help children to discover their interests by exposing them to materials such as illustrations of the universe or a map of the world. Bright colors can also be used as they have an energizing effect on children;
- 9-12 years old: This is a period of self-awareness. At this stage, it is important to differentiate the décor according to the sex of the child. It is also important to consult children on their décor preferences;
- 12 years and older: At this stage, the child is in adolescence and, therefore, capable of making many decisions. Often, rooms for children at this stage feature futuristic drawings, murals and 3D wallpapers.
In addition to the age-dependent rules, wallpaper for children’s rooms should also be selected guided by the personality of the child. Warm colors work best for calm children, especially if accentuated by minor elements of bright patterns. Bright colors, on the contrary, will increase the activity of children. Light and cold tones help calm down hyperactive children.
Research shows that:
- Peach blossoms create an atmosphere of friendliness and tranquility;
- The yellow wallpaper in the nursery boosts children’s mental activity;
- Red causes excessive agitation that can turn into aggression for hyperactive children.
Essentially, choosing the wallpaper for the nursery is an important task, and the responsibility falls on the parents. However, as children advance towards puberty, it is important that they play an active role in selecting décor for their rooms.
Wallpaper options for girls
A girl’s room often requires unique décor, regardless of the girl’s age. In most scenarios, pink is the go-to color. However, as the girl gets older, brighter colors are acceptable. Traditional colors for girls’ rooms have warm, light shades, which range from red to pink, lime, peach, lavender, and mint.
Popular drawings for girls’ room wallpapers include fairies, princesses, flowers and other objects the girl may fancy. While these picture wallpapers appear beautiful, it is important to minimize the brightness of the wallpaper.
As girls grow older, they outgrow cartoons. Therefore, parents can choose more age-appropriate picture wallpapers, such as photo murals of cities and graffiti and 3D-effect wallpaper. The room should be fashionable and reflect the personality and age of the child.
Popular themes for girls’ wallpapers are:
- Floral motifs: Colorful flowers and house plants beautifully decorate girls’ rooms;
- Princess illustrations: Wallpaper with drawings of princesses bring the fairy tales of young girls to life;
Fairy-tale and cartoon characters: Children’s favorite cartoon heroes are important to them. As such, kids love owning items with drawings of their favorite cartoon characters, from clothes to notebooks and backpacks. The cartoon characters range from ponies to unicorns, super-heroes, and fairies. Bringing cartoon characters into your child’s bedroom will, therefore, excite him/her.
- Fauna: Pictures and illustrations of animals not only decorate the walls but also expand the child’s perception of the world. A wallpaper depicting birds or butterflies, for instance, looks beautiful in a nursery.
Theme wallpaper in a boy’s room
The boy’s room, aside from serving as a bedroom, is a place for active games, meeting friends, studying, and relaxation. The most popular color schemes for boys’ rooms are blue and gray, which are known for creating calmness. Some combinations, such as blue with green, white, sand, and gray with brown or orange are quite popular. However, you can go with any color or color combination that you prefer, as long as the result is fit for a boy.
Favorite themes for wallpapers for boys are:
Boys especially love cars, so the range of wallpaper depicting cars is quite varied. You can also consider wallpaper with designs of motorcycles, airplanes, or trains;
- Sports theme: Boys are drawn to sports from an early age. Installing a sports-themed wallpaper will not only excite the boy but probably also influence him to take up sports as an activity;
- Marine décor: Depictions of fish and other sea life have a calming effect. Wallpaper showing marine life is, therefore, especially suited for the room of a hyperactive boy, as it will help him calm down;
- Adventure depictions: Wallpaper depicting pirates, quests, treasure hunts, and other forms of adventure will especially please boys, while also encouraging them to be adventurous;
- Superheroes: Boys love superheroes, as well as depictions of their favorite TV or movie characters, including robots and fairy tale characters;
- Space: Many guys love the image of the universe, from the sky to planets, rockets, and the solar system.Such wallpapers, when used in a boy’s nursery also help them develop an interest in learning about the solar system and space in general.
While these ideas are all interesting, it is important to restrict yourself to one, so you do not overload the room with decor.
Ideas for choosing wallpapers for a shared children’s room
One of the most difficult decisions for parents lies in the décor of a bedroom that is shared by two or more children, especially if those children are of different sexes. The challenge arises because parents have to balance the décor in favor of each child, even if the children are of different sexes.
It’s a little easier to choose the finish for a room shared by a boy and girl if the age difference is minor and the kids have shared interests. Wall décor, such as wallpaper, can help to create two separate functional zones, such as the bedroom and playing area or sleeping area for a boy and girl.
Middle-aged children already want to own their space, even if it is not private. Wallpaper is an excellent option to separate the space for a boy and girl in a shared bedroom, particularly if the wallpaper is in different colors for each zone. In addition, the texture and patterns are different for each zone. There are multiple wallpaper options that serve this purpose. What is more, you can even purchase a special series of wallpapers that are specifically meant for zoning. An example of such wallpaper is one that has strips on one end, to be used in a boy’s room, while the other end has polka dots, suiting a girl’s room.
Wallpaper for a teenager’s room
Adolescence comes with self-discovery. As such, teenagers start discovering their tastes and preferences. Giving your child the opportunity to decorate their room will help them with their self-discovery. However, you should not leave all the design decisions to the child, as your guidance as a parent is important.
Trendy options in the decoration of teenagers’ rooms include the use of unique photo wallpaper and 3D wallpaper, depicting cities, cars, nature, sports, science, etc. Make sure to leave a part of the wall blank and clean, for the child to hang up posters, awards, crafts, and stickers.
Criteria for choosing nursery wallpaper
When choosing wallpaper in a nursery, the following criteria should be considered:
- Design decision: When buying wallpaper for a child’s room, consider factors such as the gender of the child, their age, and interests. Also remember that the wallpaper has to be in harmony with the furniture, the décor, and the general style of the room.
- The quality of the wallpaper material: The variety of wallpaper is endless. While it is important to consider factors such as the texture and patterns, pay attention to the quality of the material. Also, be sure to check the friendliness of the material to the health and environment;
- Color scheme: While many people, including children, love vibrant colors, you should consider other options too. With the tips provided above, such as the age suitability of different colors and the effects of different colors, you can go ahead and make a decision. You can make alterations with time, as you find necessary;
- The input of the child: As this article has started, you should consider the input of the child in choosing wallpaper, from the time the child hits four years. Involving the child is important as the child needs to love their room. After all, they spend a great deal of time there.
Wallpaper for the nursery should be chosen with caution. As stated, there is an endless variety of wallpaper, differing in terms of quality, material, and texture. Each wallpaper type has its pros and cons, which also need to be considered. Color solutions also play an important role, as this article has discussed. It is advisable to choose calm tones with slight bright accents, while taking into account the child’s personality, gender and age. Guiding teenage children to select their wallpaper will excite them, as the room will reflect their interests and be ideal to their needs.