Principles of Bathroom Wall Decoration
Naturally, the goal of any home owner is to achieve a beautiful interior that is not only practical but also features reliable construction. Getting this result requires a serious and thoughtful approach in the choice of materials. You need to start selecting materials only after deciding what style you intend for your bathroom and how much you are willing to spend. Only then can you decide what materials to use for your bathroom walls.
Wall finishing options include different materials and use varying technologies. The proposed range of coatings allows you to choose a material for every taste.
The bathroom, regardless of its style, has conditions that are significantly different from other areas of the apartment. These conditions must be considered when choosing materials for wall decoration.
First of all, the bathroom has a very high level of humidity, and its effect occurs at elevated temperatures. When using the bathroom, it is usually enveloped in steam. With proper ventilation, there is a significant temperature difference.In especially difficult conditions, sections of the walls adjacent to the bath often get in contact with heated water, soap, detergents and other chemicals.
NB: In addition to the walls, you should remember the mechanical effects using the bath has on the floor.
Wall decoration in the bathroom
Taking into account the above factors, here are characteristics you should look for when shopping for finishing materials:
- High moisture resistance, even at elevated temperatures;
- Resistance to steam, aggressive substances and temperature differences;
- Easy cleaning;
- Good adhesion to the base of the wall;
- Environmental friendliness, as well as hygiene;
- Ease of imposition;
- Durability and beautiful appearance.
When making a final decision on the material of the walls, you should consider the size of the bathroom, layout features (presence of niches, projections), design style, overall color scheme, floor and ceiling design and the type of basic equipment (shower, ordinary bath or bath with additional features).
Ceramic wall decoration
Most often, the question of how to finish the bathroom walls is solved in the standard way, i.e., by using ceramic tiles. Besides tile, there is now another reliable and practical finishing material for decorating bathroom walls. You can finish with waterproof wallpaper, plastic panels, mirror or glass tiles, agglomerate or any other special mosaic.Finally, the dilemma of decorating the bathroom walls can be solved by applying decorative plaster or waterproof paint.
For many years,ceramic tile has been the most common material for decorating walls in the bathroom.Its wide popularity is influenced by its indisputable advantages, ranging from its high resistance to influencing factors like moisture, the ease of cleaning, its hygiene and durability. Wall decoration can be made using plain tiles, a combination of different colored tiles or using tiles with patterns.
Many people don’t think twice about the material they will use to cover the surface, they immediately choose tile. However, it should be remembered that tiled finishing is very laborious and requires careful surface preparation. In most cases, the process needs the use of professionals, thereby shooting up costs. Another disadvantage of tile finishing is that bathroom tiles do nothing to help your bathroom stand out.
Painting Bathroom Walls
One of the easiest and cheapest options besides covering walls is painting them. This method is even cheaper than covering the walls as you can do it yourself. Bathroom walls can be done using modern waterproof paintwork compositions like acrylic dispersion paints and enamels, as well as latex paints. With these colors on the surface, you can create great panels. The color scheme is quite extensive so you have plenty of options to choose from.
Painted bathroom walls
The main advantages of painting include affordability, a wide choice of colors, and ease of coloring and subsequent repair. The main drawbacks that limit the use of paint in the bathroom include: the need for perfect application on the wall surface, insufficient durability and low resistance to scratches and overall damage.
Using Wallpaper on walls
As mentioned previously, wallpaper can be used to decorate bathroom walls. For rooms with high humidity such as bathrooms, acrylic or vinyl wallpaper makes for a great economical choice. Glass fiber wallpaper, on the other hand, has high strength and water resistance, but is a lot more expensive. The main advantage of pasting walls with wallpaper is the ability to create diverse and beautiful designs. In addition, you can easily fix the wallpaper yourself, saving you a lot of costs.
Bathroom with wallpaper
The disadvantages of wallpaper application and use in the bathroom include the need for careful surface preparation, limited strength and high likelihood of damage by water. Water has the ability to seep under the fabric of the wallpaper, which reduces the durability of the coating and may pose damage to the walls. This disadvantage especially manifests itself in areas immediately adjacent to the bath, which means you should limit the use of wallpaper near the bath and shower cubicles.
If the bathroom walls are uneven, you may consider evening and perfecting them. One way to achieve this is by using wall cladding with plastic panels. PVC tiles of various sizes are usually used. Usually, these tiles possess the same qualities as ordinary tiles but cost much less.
Wall cladding is done using pre-crate, a process that reduces usable floor space, but allows you to finish the walls without leveling the surface.
PVC bathroom panels
PVC panels are produced in different colors and designs, including in the imitation of natural materials like wood and marble.Panels, therefore, give you plenty of freedom to choose the design style you like best. The main disadvantage of wall panels is that the joints of the panels require careful sealing using sealant to prevent the penetration of moisture inside. This weakness is attributed to the low resistance of plastic to impact, a factor that also makes it highly prone to dents.
In addition to traditional ceramic tiles, various decorative tiles made from a variety of modern materials can also be used. Here is some more essential information you should know about using tiles in the bathroom;
- Porcelain tile is a tile based on polymeric and natural components, successfully imitating natural stone of different types.It has high strength and resistance to all bathroom conditions.
- Glass tile has a perfectly smooth surface and visually increases the volume of the room. This tile is also superior as it does not form mold and fungi.Modern tiles can mimic different materials, such as ice or holographic elements. The main drawback of glass tile is the high price.
- Agglomerate is a modern material, which is a combination of a mineral base with a cementing binder.Its plates are available in different sizes.
- Mirror tile is a piece of mirror with a thickness of 4 – 6 mm, usually in different shapes and sizes.This tile creates a unique effect that visually expands the space. It can be used on its own as well as in combination with other finishing methods.
- Mosaic panels- small elements made of ceramic, stone, glass or metal of various shapes (squares, rhombuses, polygons, etc.), from which mosaic panels are laid out.
Other Wall Finishing Materials
Of the other materials used in the bathroom, the following should be noted:
- Plasterboard coating: This requires an additional surface lining with a moisture-resistant decorative coating, but does not need to level the wall surface.You can form niches, ledges, columns, arches, etc.
- Wood paneling: Wooden batten (wall paneling) gives the room a refined natural look, but requires special impregnation with an antiseptic and waterproof compounds, as well as varnish coating.
- Decorative plaster: Colored plaster, with relief, does not require additional coating.It is difficult to apply, so the use of a specialist is necessary.
It is impossible to describe all the options, since the flight of human thought is limitless. The most important thing to bear in mind is that you should not be afraid. Dare to experiment! Make the bathroom your pride.